NAVIGATING THE WATER, SANITATION, AND HYGIENE (WASH) SECTOR: A GUIDE FOR CORPORATE GRANTMAKERS. WASH Advocates, February 2014.
The opportunities for the corporate sector to demonstrate leadership in WASH are widespread and allow for great returns on investment. This guide, developed by WASH Advocates, presents an overview of opportunities for corporations to leverage resources and meet goals effectively.
- WASH programs offer a return of $4 in increased economic productivity and reduced healthcare costs for every $1 invested.
- Tangible benefits for corporations looking to invest in WASH solutions include access to new marketplaces, mitigation of risk, increased brand recognition, and improved employee morale.
- Strategic philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, cause-related marketing, and employee motivation campaigns are among the variety of channels available to corporations for supporting WASH.
- Eleven case studies featured in the guide profile the winning strategies employed by recognized corporate leaders in the sector, including Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, and General Electric.
- A number of organizations bring together the public and private sectors to address the WASH challenge, including: WASHfunders.org, WASH Grantmakers Network, CEO Water Mandate, Global Water Challenge, and several water-related trade associations.
- Many corporations are finding success working in partnership with the U.S. Government, particularly the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), which is the largest single donor to WASH programs in the world.